Sunday, July 8, 2012

Why Art Matters: The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald


Earlier this week, I snarked on facebook that I discovered the worst workout song ever while circling the track at the Y, that being Gordon Lightfoot's "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."

The song is as much a Michigan birthright as an appetite for coney dogs and Mackinac Island fudge. It's as much a part of our Great Lakes culture as a Detroit Tigers baseball hat and as common as a Ted Nugent story (everyone has one). And while pregnant, I can admit to some high hormones as I bawled my way through listening to the song on the radio, contemplating the 29 lost souls.

The facts are the Edmund Fitzgerald was a freighter ship that sank in Lake Superior November 10, 1975. Lightfoot, a Canadian folk artist, penned the song based on a Newsweek article on the disaster titled "The Cruelest Month." By his admission, he had writer's block until a friend told him to "just tell the story." The song reached #2 on the US singles chart in November 1976, a year after the accident.

But why has it endured? For one, it's a great piece of storytelling. Also, Lightfoot was popular act in the 70s and still is a staple on light rock stations. I also think it is a story that binds people together, a modern day disaster they remembered with wistful sadness. Finally, it's a great song.

The Great Ship inspires more than just song...

No comments:

The Beatles, Ranked! The Bottom, or the Not so Fab

I'm fighting this too. I said I'd do it, so here it is. First, some "defend the music" just outside the bottom: Her Majest...