Sunday, September 21, 2014

GR EAT! A Foodie Promise

ICE CREAM! Mom, throw me some money!

Dave and I went out for a family drive to get ice cream and cruise downtown to see what was going on. We lamented all the eateries and shops we haven't visited in lieu of take out chinese and pizza delivery.

So we made a pact, dating back to my birthday: we will visit no chain restaurants, only local fare for a whole year.

There are exceptions, like business meetings, work potlucks or invitations for which we are not in charge of the party.

That said, we have already been living by example this week.

9/13, some yacht club out in Holland for a benefit. The typical plated dinner fare, but what stood out was the slice potato au gratin and stuffed shrimp in hollandaise sauce.

9/15, birthday at The Score. Ordered spring rolls, disappointed they were deep fried. Ordered the lobster roll upon a friend's recommendation, was an expensive tuna sandwich. Won't be back.

9/19, dinner with the family at Walker Roadhouse. I have never had a bad meal there, ever. Portions very generous, I had the mushroom sage pork chop special, with garlic mashed potatoes and balsamic brussel sprouts. Had half a pork chop at breakfast yesterday and will have the other chop and mashed potatoes for lunch today - that his how much food you get.

9/20, family drive to Furniture City Creamery. I had beer ice cream, no really. It was Elk Brewing's Black IPA ice cream, a surprise and revelation. It was flavorful and rich without being cloyingly sweet. A treat for grown ups to be sure.

This week, with a benefit, a birthday and family visiting we went out more than usual, but I will check in from time with food updates. All signs are pointing to the Mediterranean next.

No comments:

That's It, Just One Line - Landslide

"Can I sail through the changing ocean tides, can I handle the seasons of my life?"