Monday, September 1, 2014

September Playlist: Exceptions to the Rule

Whitney channeling the Supremes. Florence says, "Gurl, please."

I hate to label myself a music snob, but sometimes, I just cannot tolerate schlocky crap. The biggest genre that offends me is the pop diva songstress. I feel like I have to turn in my girl card for my lack of enthusiasm for those soft rock song birds, but I just can't bring myself to fully embrace their catalog and pay $350 to see them in concert.

Except... for one single.

This is not a conscious decision on my part. I do not dole out one piece of pop music like a singular chocolate candy, indulging in just one bite. It just sort of happened that way.

Mariah Carey, Vision of Love: power diva extraordinaire, I adored this debut single and was very open to more of her music. This is a lovely song, very reminiscent of torchy ballads from the 70s. Then came the vocal gymnastics...

Celine Dion, Heart Will Go On: I didn't despise Celine, I just didn't get her. I reacted to her story (poor Canadian wunderkind with voice of angel, rags to riches if you will) with a bland "good for you." Then Titanic happened and something about her delivery was oh so operatic and awesome, soft and touching then soaring and soul crushing. Then back to bland.

Whitney Houston, I'm Your Baby Tonight: Pretty show pony released one bright shiny penny of a single after another, all with the depth of a teaspoon. Then came the Greatest Love of All, which some saw as self-empowering, I saw as indulgent and laughed when it was parodied in the movie Say Anything. Then came this single, and I found the music complex, and her delivery mature and interesting. I. Loved. This. Song.

Nickelback, Rock Star: Nickelback probably doesn't deserve the vile hate heaped upon them, but I do find them bland. So what, they are laughing all the way to the bank, making fun of themselves in the video for this song. It is charming, self-depreciating, and infectious, but in a good way. Haters gonna hate.

Katy Perry, Waking Up in Vegas and Last Friday Night and Dark Horse: Saucy debut about lesbian experimentation caught everyone's attention, and human cartoon/confection rides a wave of fame that is now 7 years and counting. I don't like most of her music, and find her silly. BUT! I find her sense of humor and self-awareness amusing. She is in on her joke, and for that I respect her. I also seem to have fallen into a Katy Perry "meh... meh... meh... OMG I LOVE THIS!" pattern through her 3 albums.

No comments:

That's It, Just One Line - Landslide

"Can I sail through the changing ocean tides, can I handle the seasons of my life?"