Sunday, December 7, 2014

Typing Out Loud: RBR submission, the 2015 edition



They have given me so many free runs through their "Submit Your Story" program, I'm almost embarrassed to try it yet another year.

But try I must. I think since music propels me, it must also guide me.


There are many runners who proudly collect their bibs and medals, posting their personal best times on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Me? Under my bed is my boot box. While the box does indeed contain bibs and medals, instead of collecting finish times, I've been inscribing the lid with finish line songs.

In my other competitive life, I'm a figure skater, motivated by music to portray characters that are funny, abstract, and ethereal. I'm keenly aware of how a great tune can push you to new and greater heights. I always build my playlists with that in mind.

I celebrated Detroit to ELO's "Hold on Tight to Your Dreams." It was me and U2's "Elevation" finishing the River Bank Run. I celebrated the Diemer with Bruce Springsteen's "Girls in Their Summer Clothes" and danced at the Color Run to the Isley Brothers "Shout!" Almost every single race in 2013 was finished with a Beatles song.

My training/personal dance party was halted this summer by surgery and forced convalescing. As recovery was slow, I faced the decision to drop out of the Detroit international half and do the 5k instead. When it came time to resume training, I was painfully slow, and pouted. But never say quit; by time I participated in the Step Out for Diabetes (B-52s "Love Shack"), I changed my perspective by including all the finish line songs in a playlist titled "Bulldog, You're Still in the Race."

And the Detroit 5k? Off my PB by more than 6 minutes. But another gem for the boot box, scrawled in Sharpie for 10/18: Dee Lite's "Groove is in the Heart."

No comments:

That's It, Just One Line - Landslide

"Can I sail through the changing ocean tides, can I handle the seasons of my life?"