Tuesday, November 3, 2020

LHOTR - key word: cozy!

Will resting and watching the World Series after a hard day of cleaning.

Our first weekend at the cottage came together faster and happier than we could have imagined. Dave had to work at the bank until noon, which was ok, because Sandy and I had to go claim our finisher's medals from the River Bank Run. Once Dave changed into work clothes and celebratory donuts were consumed, we formed a caravan up to the little house. 

As expected, the house smelled musty, as if it had been locked up tight for a year or so. Still, we had gotten a head start on things after signing papers on Thursday when we cleared out the old blankets, rugs, and bedding. So we threw open the windows, pulled up the blinds, and started to move in. 

A never-ending cycle of dish-washing. I wonder what Caroline Ingalls would think of paper plates. The books do mention her using slips of paper for dipping hard boiled eggs into salt and pepper. 

First, I made the beds. Then wiped down the cupboards and drawers with vinegar and set dishes of  baking soda in each to make it all smell fresh. Once cupboards were dry, I unpacked the dishes, silver, cookware, and groceries, taking care to organize things to the point of being OCD. 

While I was doing that, Dave was getting the area rug unfurled, moving furniture in and out, and setting up the stereo, because tunes are always necessary. 

It is surprising with the three of us how quickly it all came together. Dave was able to make his snowmobile club meeting in Baldwin, and Will and I stayed behind to have pizza and watch the World Series as our first chillaxing evening in the house. And my lovely royal blue fainting couch fits in my nook perfectly, with my spa basket that slides underneath the perfect touch. 

Not all is well, though. It's been a long time since we have shared a queen bed. And this queen is bouncy soft. If one person rolls, the other person rolls with them. A harrumph from Dave, and I'm catapulted off the bed quite unceremoniously. After fighting each other for bed supremacy, we fell asleep exhausted about 3am. 

Up by 9am to watch the river roll by, and not enough food to make breakfast, we ran up to Four Corners and had our first meal as townies. I got the breakfast with all the meat. Then it was back to the house for more work before heading back to the city.  

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...