Monday, November 9, 2020

LHOTR - whatnot! Tackling an ugly shelving problem.

The DIY craft project of the Dakota prairie.

In By the Shores of Silver Lake, the Ingalls family meets the Boasts, Robert and Ella. In the fictional account, Ella is described as young, fun-loving newlywed, and an expert at starting chicken farms. She is also described as being up on all the latest fads and fashions, one of which was building a whatnot, a corner shelving unit for knick knacks. Building the shelf was described in such perfect detail, I thought I was missing something.

Before...

Shelving is important in little houses. So much so, the previous owners of our little house gouged a hole into the drywall of the bathroom to slap some spare wood into the opening, and left us with the above. At least the shelves are level, but the tears in the drywall? Exposed nails? Rough boards? 

That won't do.

...after, part 1. 

I hunted around the house and found leftover molding, which I cut (I saw! I sew!) to match the door frames around the house. I also found the bathroom paint tucked away in the corner of a closet, and painted it all to match. 

I'm still not satisfied. 

I'm the Dollar Tree Joanna Gaines, y'all! 

The nails that are visible on the back wall are necessary, as they are holding up the wood walls in the kitchen! Doesn't mean I have to like it. I will be covering the back of the cabinet by creating a false back with adhesive backsplash tiles, and covering the shelves with adhesive shelving paper. The cute baskets are for keeping all the travel soaps, shampoos, lotions, and conditioners organized. 

After, part 2: look how cute! And I'm making quick work of those travel conditioners.

An added special touch? I found my own wee porcelain trinket box, digging through my jewelry chest. While it doesn't have Laura's gold teapot and cup, it has a tiny spray of roses atop a basket weave. It was the party favor my mom offered guests at my bridal shower. It will be a useful yet sentimental addition to my little house. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...