Wednesday, December 23, 2020

LHOTR - beautiful fabrics

The cranes!

The patterns!

In The Long Winter, Laura sacrifices some of her own pretty things so Ma and her sisters have Christmas presents. She of course learned the art of sacrifice and making something out of nothing from Caroline, who Laura found slipping netted bags of Christmas candy onto everyone’s breakfast plate.

This year, I sacrificed all of my bright and colorful fabric to make 403 face masks for friends and family. I sent masks to 23 states for people working in the front line as well as those who needed them the most. I “won” the virtual adult nationals championship for mask making. 

But now, looking for fabrics to create for the little house, I didn’t have any left to play with. 

My coworker Lexi, a recycler and conservationist, came through with a simple “what do you need?”  And out of nowhere, two boxes of fabric samples showed up on my front door.

Green velvet, blue corduroy, brocade florals, bold stripes,  rich and fantastical designs. I’m in the process of removing the hang tags and hangers. I will even use the hangers for scarves.

Like Laura, I’m enthralled, stroking the beautiful colors and imagining how to bring these bright squares to life.


No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...