Wednesday, December 2, 2020

LHOTR - Our first holiday, Thanksgiving

 

So, Eliza Jane, what are you going to have?”

A social media post from the Little House museums wished us fans a Happy Thanksgiving, and featured one of Helen Sewell's fabulous woodcuts of a gleeful Almanzo at the dinner table, surrounded by the delicious dishes prepared by his mother Angelina. 

Things at the little house on the river were similar for Thanksgiving 2020. Dave and Will prepared the turkey in the roaster, slicing onions, carrots, apples, and oranges for flavor and aroma. But the turkey was too big, so we had to slide it into the oven. 

I got the rest of the sides prepared, setting the yam and potatoes to boil, prepping a simple dish of peas, stirring the stuffing, and getting the cranberries out of the can with a satisfying thwack. There were plenty of drippings for homemade gravy too. Setting out a small dish of deli cole slaw, and dinner was ready by 1:30.

Because of COVID, it was only the three of us, so the meal was informal, intimate, and over in only 15 minutes. Me? I had a little bit of everything, but Will and Dave feasted on the wings and legs like barbarians. A quick cleanup, and we were lazing on the couch by 2:30 and I was cybershopping on my phone.

Dave's social media posts reflecting on the day, while overlooking the river were filled with gratitude and thanks for how lucky we felt to be enjoying the day together. I have to agree. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...