Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Leadership Week 3: Leadership Challenges and Solutions

So this happened. Allow me the delusion that Paul McCartney sent me a valentine, luv. 

I've been hard at work, and haven't been posting! Since not too much is happening up at the cottage, I've been focusing on my class, and cannot believe it's almost over. I'm excited that I have a perfect score so far of 220/220, but I'm anxious that 700 points towards my final grade have yet to be recorded!

Here's my paper for week 3:

In our text, we learn a servant leader is defined as one who is attentive to the concerns of followers, empathizes, and nurtures. They are ethical and lead in a way that serves the greater good of the organization, community, and society at large. (Northouse, 2019)

I evaluated the responses on the two surveys for the Servant Leader, and honestly, not surprised by the results. As someone who has made a career in nonprofit and volunteer work, qualities such as emotional healing, community value, empowerment, helping others grow, putting others first, and ethics is in my comfort zone. Of all the leadership styles we have learned, this may be the closest to how I would define my style and who I am.

I’m feeling a little more apprehensive about adaptive leadership. Our text defines an adaptive leader as someone who engages in activities that mobilize, motivate, organize, orient, and focus the attention of others. (Northouse, 2019) I don’t see myself as a boss lady; but what do others believe? I solicited coworkers to fill the assessments. What did I learn?

I scored high in areas where I analyze situations and reflect, a.k.a., get on the balcony. I also scored high as one who regulates distress by tackling difficult problems or reducing stress in others. The last area I scored well in was protecting leadership voices. I’m glad to know coworkers feel I am a team player that listens.

I scored moderately ok where the questions were looking towards someone in a position of authority: adaptive challenge, disciplined attention, and giving the work back to the people. Er, I AM the people. I am not given elephants to tackle. In my position, the relationship I have with these coworkers is one of collaboration, not authority. My best interpretation on ways to improve in these areas is to share the burden in conflicts instead of taking it on myself, maintain focus to complete jobs successfully and on time, and take charge in finding a possible solution to present to my supervisor when problems arise.

A current leadership challenge I am facing is managing a new project with a new client while adhering to the university’s reduced-print rules. It would be an asset to use adaptive leadership, becoming the leader who looks for solutions to resolve the issues. (Northouse, 2019)

For this project, I met with LT, who was looking to replace an outdated, bulky publication. There is sentimental value in the publication, but allocations to produce the piece have grown smaller in terms of time, talent, and budget. The solution is to create something leaner that maintains its sentimental value.

First, look at the big picture. I needed to project manage, and step away to see all the moving parts that need to be included, and assess everyone’s role in producing the piece.

Second, analyze what is needed. I need to communicate clearly with LT, share that with my team, and manage production. Today, I hashed out with SA the general idea of what the piece should look like, and orchestrated our group meeting on Tuesday.

Next, direct the project, stay productive, and not stress out! Tomorrow, I will create a document containing all the content. That means some information, including some “sacred cows” will be sacrificed, especially when you are cutting 60 pages down to eight.

Maintain discipline attention: work on that project schedule to stay on time!

Within the schedule, give the graphic designers and writers the time to do what they do best, and let them problem solve within the project.

And finally, listen and be open to ideas within the group. This is a new project, and creative people need the room to create.



No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...