Friday, February 26, 2021

Leadership Week 6: One Vision!

 

Me! 

My final paper is 10 pages long, so instead, I offer a glimpse of my vision board, along with the text from my presentation:

I developed my vision board focusing on specific takeaways to move forward in 2021.

My first takeaway was in our first chapter, that leadership has a moral dimension. I want to refine my moral compass and keep it in place for every leadership opportunity.

My second takeaway is to believe in the strength and power of servant leadership. During our reflections, I found this may be the leadership quality that closely aligns with my own attitudes and beliefs. But, because it’s not reflected in the more stereotypical leadership idea of a “girl boss,” I didn’t value this in myself. My example is in making over 400 masks during the pandemic. At the time, I just thought of it as helping out, I didn’t recognize that as a leadership quality. Now I do.

My biggest challenge going forward will probably be embracing adaptive leadership. I am in a position of managing projects, not people. The pandemic has proven that I am capable of adaptive leadership, even if I have to be creative about it, like rewarding disciplined attention in my sixth grader with a hot dog.

From followership and team leadership, I realize I want to be a part of the solution. Nothing is more energizing than being on a positive team that gets things done. While so many people were complaining, it was a relief to be on the team that was adapting, using best practices, looking for a new answer.

But there are things within myself that need change. In several of my assessments, I was told I must LISTEN. Be more open to other’s thoughts and ideas. Because of previous toxic work environments, I sometimes have a hard time adapting to team work and contributions from others. I need to bring these skills into my career. If I’ve learned anything from followership, it’s a relief to share the work.

And to make these changes, celebrate my tenacity to make things happen. Completing the Leadership certificate will be a very positive step personally and professionally.

For inspiration, ask myself: What would Scott Hamilton do? I love him as a skater, but his career off ice is just as fascinating. I have reread his biography numerous times, and in researching him for my leadership lesson, I was drawn to his other two books, The Great Eight and Finish First. He kicks off one of his books with the chapter: Know Your Purpose.

And finally, put leadership skills into practice, whatever the situation. This information is too good to just think of as the A needed to pass the course, this information is applicable to all aspects of life, personally and professionally.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...