Monday, March 1, 2021

LHOTR: Project or Restore?

 

Under $10?! I've spent more on a towel rack!

Will I or won't I stub my toe on the footer?

I have been almost giddy at the prospect of building a headboard for our little house. Do I go vertical or horizontal with the slats? Natural or stain? Pine, cherry, oak? I mentally do my little builds as I drift off to sleep. 

This past weekend, after doing our taxes and ordering new tires for his motorcycle, Dave was curious to see what the Habitat for Humanity Restore was like, having never been thrifting with me before. His curiosity paid off, with mats for the front porch. Then... 

Oh.

My.

God.

There, among the broken light fixtures and antique furniture was a bedstead. 

OUR bedstead. 

Priced $35 for the set. 

And marked with a yellow tag. 

Yellow tags were 75% off. 

The bedstead was $8.75! 

I couldn't get a couple of 2x4s for that price. All it needs is a little sanding and a little clear coat.  And I got a crystal tulip candle holder for 75 cents as an added bonus. 

But my project? Adios, and I'm not even mad. By recycling and restoring something discarded, we've kept something out of a landfill, and saved ourselves some time and money. Come spring break, instead of working away at one project, we opened our vacation days up for spring cleaning and some time to enjoy our break. 

And the spring cleaning list is extensive. We may go back for some discount paint and more inspiration. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...