Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Leadership Grades!


Social media: the adult put-it-on-the-fridge point of pride. 

So I can freely admit I was apprehensive about coming back to school to pursue the certificate in Leadership. I'm pretty busy, and well past my red solo cup sorority party days. The landscape for completing coursework has changed drastically in the last year alone, not to mention the last 28 years. 

In order to prepare, I had to take a series of online orientation classes that were basically YouTube videos with quizzes tacked on. There was a lot of "wait... what?" that went on, as I backed the video up to review the instructions. 

And I found flaws. First, you had to upload drafts, THEN approve to finalize. And I had to upload things more than once if I was signed on under a different email, as the system recognized garlanme but not melissag915. 

But the online option meant I could rewind to comprehend a lesson, attend class from the cottage, work on an assignment while judging a skating competition, and review my textbook using my touchpad computer. I rented my textbook, an interactive masterpiece of learning, for only $40. Kids these days don't know the financial crunch of paying $1000 per semester and getting only $45 back at the end of the term. 

In all, I submitted 24 homework assignments over a 6-week period, including four major assignments that counted for 700 points of our total grade. While I don't think I devoted the 14-16 hours per week the professor required, I was pretty committed to doing the work. 

I have come back to look at my grade numerous times since it was posted on Sunday morning. While I have gotten As in class before, I have never certifiably aced a course like I did this one. I mean, this is amazing. 

Diane Franklin's curls were on point, as was Monique's advice to Lane. 

I'm looking forward to starting the second course in the certificate plan, Collaborative Communications. Dave is excited too, as one of my textbooks is a book he read for his leadership training at the bank. I have high hopes for my grades going forward, if I may quote Monique in Better Off Dead, "I think all you need is a small taste of success, and you will find it suits you."

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...