Thursday, September 2, 2021

Use Your Talents


 Remember her? I do. 

So class three in my quest for earning my GVSU Leadership certificate is in its second week, which means I'm already a third of the way there. I have a major paper due on the 18th - doesn't he know that's birthfest?!

Anyway, the flipgrid assignment was to discuss skill sharing. Immediately my bashful insecurities arose, making me think "what do I have to offer?" Then I remembered Liquid Gold. 

Man, I got a grant to paint it, and it was to advocate for healthy mamas and babies in Kent County. I took a meeting at 1 in the morning in a gay bar with a transgendered bartender after leaving my second shift at the hospital. It had a second life at a foam party for breast cancer research. And I'm still jazzed about how the curls turned out. 

So I touted my skills as an artist as well as a writer. This made me think of all the press releases I've written on behalf of young dudes taking parenting class, or the ads I wrote so Croatian kids were able to attend a baseball game for the first time in their new home country. Supporting the farm that created a petting zoo for special needs kids. Promoting research and continuing education for those who care for dementia patients. And informing a kid from Texas that he can improve his community by coming here to study aquatic sciences. 

If I have to give myself a holla, it's been a wonderful career so far. 

No comments:

Rethinking Orange

I have a thing for citrus Orange is... Taste:  candied grapefruit peel that is bright, citrusy, bitter, and sweet Touch: warm sunshine with ...