Monday, February 7, 2022

“But back home he'll always run to sweet Melissa”

 


Skating in a flowery, floaty tunic is the most me move ever.

There was another instance this weekend of someone attempting to passively/aggressively dismiss my accomplishments by calling awards earned “participation trophies.”

Oh, who the fuck cares. It gets me off the couch.

But this again makes me question my motives and I realize I’m happy where I’m at. The whole reason behind the Monkees free skate is skating for the joy of skating. 

I excel at showcase numbers, but as outlined in the previous post, I had a hard time cutting the right music for a program. I also contemplated what direction I wanted to go for the next program I do.

I’ve been a lunch lady, prom queen, killer queen, Mrs. Claus, Mrs. Hannigan, Minnie the Moocher, Proud Mary, and a weary barmaid at last call. So, why not just be… me? And believe me, in skating it's easier to be someone else then lay yourself bare for a judging panel and audience to judge YOU. 

I also seem to have another kind of rotation in skating, where I trade in and out focusing on technical, artistic, or character driving programs. I have the need to explore pretty again. 

So I edited the Allman Brothers Band version of my namesake song, and found a tunic on Amazon. I'm attempting to be as me as I can be, in song, in dress, and in skating. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...