Sunday, February 6, 2022

When Your Art Doesn’t Work

Too pretty to cut.

When you are working to create a skating program using someone else’s art, sometimes you run into a snag. My snag was the sweetness of the Flamingoes song I Only Have Eyes for You. At three minutes, 20 seconds, it’s twice as long as I need for a showcase number. Go ahead and try to cut it in half - you can’t do it without eliminating some of the story, the magic, the romance. 

For my regular 8-to-5, I’ve got no problem slashing and burning bum copy that doesn’t work. Taking apart my own work to rebuild it into something better, I can put aside my ego for something better. Guarantee I’ll chop this post up one more time before hitting the publish button.

But this…? This is someone else’s vision, a classic that cannot be respectfully edited without ruining it. I may try one more time, but I may leave it for an exhibition without a time limit. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...