Sunday, February 27, 2022

INT 310: Shoe Repair

Yikes, do I toss them?
A scrub and a couple coats of rubberized spray.
Ready to re-wear.

Missoni is an Italian luxury brand that back in 2011, did a line at Target that allowed us midwesterners to feel like we could hang with the Manhattan influencers. 

As you can see from the first picture, I wore the hell out of them. 

I did my semi-annual tough love closet purge, but couldn’t bring myself to toss them. One of the how-to videos that has been popping up on Facebook has been cobblers fixing Louboutins heels and Chanel flats. What repairs could I do without the skills or tools?

Enter Gorilla spray rubberized spray and sealant. I scrubbed the bottoms clean, masked off the fabric so it wouldn't stain, liberally applied two coats of spray, then laid them in the sun to dry. They look great.

If they fall apart, I can honestly say they don’t owe me a dime. But in our disposable, fast-fashion society, I’m glad to keep my shoes for another season. That, along with thrifting, free cycling, and getting my sewing machine out for hemming and repairs, keeps things out of landfills. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...