Friday, August 5, 2022

Letting Go of Running

The boot box, where I cataloged my finish line songs and stored awards and prizes. 

It's happened: I've made the decision to "retire" from doing road races and concentrate on skating and doing other stuff. 

I don't even miss it. 

I meant what I posted before about attempting to see a version of myself that doesn't exist. I didn't find a tribe in running like I did in skating. The only way I broke 30 minutes was if I was doing a virtual race on an elliptical or on my skates when organizers would allow alternate methods of race completion. And usually, I just felt relief when it was over. 

But... I devoted over 11 years to the sport, so I want to salvage something out of the time I dedicated to it. 

What am I most proud of? 

I did 1 milers, 5Ks, 4.1 miles, 6.2, a 13.1, a couple of indoor triathlons at the Y (20 minutes on the bike, 20 minutes running, and 20 minutes swimming), and a cumulative marathon (two 13.1s) and several ironmans. 

I got my mother-in-law moving. 

I did get some second place medals in my age group, including one of my very first 5ks. 

I've raised some money for breast cancer research, diabetes, and adoption/foster care.

I won a case of Power Gel for writing an essay about what I discovered about GR running a 10K. That took care of my tossies at Adult Nationals one year. 

Actually, I won seven of my 10 entries in the River Bank Run for the Tell Your Story promo. 

Last time I counted, I had accumulated over 70 finisher's awards that included medals, drinkware, stopwatches, pedometers, headlamps, magnets, shoelaces, jewelry, lunchboxes, and a Santa suit. That's the result of over 11 years of running. 

Who knows, once I get the hip up and going again, I may sneak back on a course for a fun run. Hot chocolate at the Whoville 5k in December sounds great on this 90 degree day. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...