Sunday, August 7, 2022

Why Art Matters: Converting a Kiddie Guitar


…after!

I discovered a junior guitar at a garage sale for $5. It surprisingly holds its tune quite well, has metal strings, and is going to be a nice companion for the cottage up north.

But I’m not a Marvel superhero kind of gal. What to do?

My first attempt was to paint it a deep sparkle black. The body is, however covered in a durable plastic to manage the rough and tumble punishment an 8-year-old rock star would inflict on its body. Five coats of paint would not adhere to the body, was tacky in the summer humidity, and peeled right off. 

Well, I’ve always loved a sticker collage. One search for rock band stickers on Amazon, and I got a lot of 100 for six dollars. I ordered, not expecting much for the money, but intrigued by all the five star reviews.

Did they deliver! Classic rock, modern rock, punk rock, rap, and just music in general. I tried being careful and calculating, but then I started slapping them on to fill in the empty spaces. To finish it, I placed the cartoon Queen sticker from my Italian graphic artist friend Rachel in a place of honor. I did keep Ironman up in the head. 

The little guitar now lives at the little house for those days when I feel like a little acoustic jam. Yesterday after screwing the hanger into the wall, I practiced Ceilito Lindo for about 30 minutes. 

Rawk.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...