Sunday, October 9, 2011

October Playlist - way back in the ohs!


Countin' em down with Casey

I love countdowns, always have. So when VH1 put together their top 100 songs of the aughts, I was excited to see how their list shook out. And of course build my own based on their results. I was surprised at how much I agree with, but the complexion of my list changes a bit with my substitution/addition list below.

Onto the countdown!
OutKast "Hey Ya!" (2 on VH1) - funky, fun, crazy.

Justin Timberlake "SexyBack" (6) - I would have had this #1.

Kanye West & Jamie Foxx "Gold digger" (7) - rawk.

50 Cent "In Da Club" (10) - hey shorty, it's yer birthday.

Gnarls Barkley "Crazy" (14) - sounded brand new and 30 years old.

Beyonce "Single Ladies" (16) - cannot be denied.

Britney Spears "Toxic" (20) - don't judge me.

Alicia Keys "Fallin'" (22) - should have been higher.

Missy Elliott "Git Yer Freak On" (24)

Usher "Yeah" (27) - Yeah!

Gwen Stefani "Hollaback Girl" (30) - B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Amy Winehouse "Rehab" (31) - I'm not out lighting candles for her, but what a loss.

Eve and Gwen "Let Me Blow Ya Mind" (45) - slinky.

Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow "Picture" (46) - awesome.

Snoop Dog "Drop It Like It's Hot" (66) - I will never forget being in the security office at the department store I worked for and seeing the staff inwardly grooving while appearing professional.

Colbie Callait "Bubbly" (71) - reminds me of Philo

Jet "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" (72) - reminds me of the Synchro St. Louis girls.

Chamillionaire "Ridin" (74) - song about drugs that is too much fun to be about drugs.

Plain White T's "Hey There Delilah" (78) - nothing is sweeter (or more awkward) than when a boy writes a song for a girl.

Lil Jon "Get Low" (80) - ok!

Macy Gray "I Try" (85) - just a singalong belt-it song. Love the hair.

Flo Rida "Low" (92) - yeesh, this middle-aged white girl called him Florida way too long. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate.

OK GO "Here It Goes Again" (93) - thanks to Molly for giving me the inside scoop on the band before they hit it big, but this video was just awesome.


The Replacements
Black Eyed Peas charted at #12 with "I Gotta Feeling". I'd take that out and put in "Hey Mama" or "Let's Get it Started."

U2 charted with "Beautiful Day" (15). My sub: "Elevation."

Christina Aguleria charted with "Beautiful" (18). I substitute "Candyman."

P!nk scored with "Get the Party Started" (23). Wow - great song, but she improved the quality of her work with every record after that. Pick one.

Nelly shows up with "Hot in Here" (25). I cannot deny "Country Grammar" having lived in STL at the time.

White Stripes chart with "Seven Nation Army" (26). I say IN ADDITION you put "Fell in Love with a Girl" on there.

Lady Gaga "Bad Romance" (49) - roma- oh- la- la. IN ADDITION I add her with Beyonce for "Telephone."

Shakira shows up with "Hips Don't Lie" (52). Give me "Objection Tango" any day.

I know Norah Jones "Don't Know Why" (54) put her on the map, but I love "Been Thinking About You."

Nelly Furtado "Promiscuous" (73) but I prefer "Like a Bird" and "Maneater".

Bruce Springsteen "The Rising" (81) I know, Academy Award and all that, but give me "Girls in Their Summer Clothes."

Daughtery "It's Not Over" (94). I'm opting in another American Idol, David Cook, with "Billie Jean" and "Come Back to Me."

Pussycat Dolls "Don't Cha" (96). C'mon ladies, get classy! I'll do it for you with "Jai Ho!"

No comments:

That's It, Just One Line - Landslide

"Can I sail through the changing ocean tides, can I handle the seasons of my life?"