Saturday, December 10, 2011

December Playlist: SHAZAM!

I love Shazam, the iPhone app that lets you record a 10-second sample of a song that maybe you haven't heard in 10, 20 or even 30 years to rediscover while shopping in Walmart or flipping channels while you are driving. The tougher one is when you are in an area with no internet service or don't immediately have the damn thing within reach. So the playlist for this month is going to be those weird, wild, ear nuggets that leave your toes tapping and electronic devices scrambling.

Classical Gas, Mason Williams - this was playing over the credits of a PBS special on 60s Rock, Roll and Remember. I spent 3 1/2 months in the 60s, so my memories of the decade are nil. I remember this song from those days when Tigers games were on WJR and the DJ would trot out the post-game instrumentals, a gentle segueway from the Honeybaked Ham's Herb Alpert "Taste of Honey" theme music. I don't know much about this song.

Mas Que Nada (2011 remix), Sergio Mendes and Erykah Badu - lots of ice dancers skating to this, and it's a very infectious mix of modern hip hop and Brazilian dance beats.

White Horse, Senor Coconut - a merengue with a funky little horn that makes the hips move independently of anything else your body is doing. You could be washing the dishes and your hips are dancing. Laundry, and hips are swaying. It's the kind of song you can see a Saturday Night Live sketch built around.

Stuck Inside a Cloud, George Harrison - from the first note I thought, "that has to be George." Signature slide guitar, but weak vocals, so I'm guessing mid to late 90s.

Too Sad to Cry, Imeda May - weird bluesy/country song from someone I've never heard of.

Bring it Home to Me, Sam Cooke - Dave and I both Shazamed this song seperately with the intent that we had to hear it again. Amazing

Not Fade Away, Florence + The Machine - Fell in love with this band apparently well before their SNL appearance. Not Fade Away is an old Buddy Holly classic I think everyone has covered, from the Beatles and Rush to Flo.

I Want You, Fefe Dobson - Not sure where I heard it, sounds like energetic garage punk.

For You, Manfred Mann - One of those songs you always hear on classic rock that you always ask, "who sang this?" Manfred Mann is the answer.

Lady, Little River Band - this one too.

Zero to Sixty in Five, Pablo Cruise - as a skater, I am always listening for something I can skate to that is uncommon and cool. This falls into that category.

Funnel of Love, Wanda Jackson - The soundtrack to the movie "But I'm a Cheerleader!" featured some awesome music, this included.

Being Authentic, Shantel - more latin beats, God I love WYCE.

So Alive, Love and Rockets - Weird, cool song form 1988 that was a hit I haven't heard in a while.

Somewhere Down the Crazy River, Robbie Robertson - ditto.

Abbey Road Medley, The Beatles - basically it's side two, which lasts through 10 songs, some as long as four minutes, some as short at 23 seconds. You have a Beatles chorus, a Ringo drum solo, a serenade in Spanish, and general awesomeness that lasts for about 20 minutes. Uncle Buck played it on his morning show last Sunday and I was almost late for work because I had to listen to the whole thing. Worth it...

No comments:

That's It, Just One Line - Landslide

"Can I sail through the changing ocean tides, can I handle the seasons of my life?"