Thursday, December 29, 2011

Here We Go Again

Another year, another attempt at securing a free entry to the race. I expanded on an incident that happened last April 2:

After one crazy experience last year, there almost wasn't a first time...

Having been indoors all winter, I optimistically showed up for a training run at the Y downtown. Doing 2+ miles on the treadmill and track, I thought I'd be in great shape to keep my own with the rest of the 5k-ers.

When I arrived, I was surrounded by lean, toned, bright-eyed people eating gel and radiating health while I stood there in a hoodie and a pair of clearance sneakers. I was immediately shy and self-conscious of calling myself a runner among the gazelles.

I set out to join the others at the start. The first song on my playlist? "Ship of Fools" by World Party - I had loaded the wrong playlist! While shuffling to a good song, I notice one toned ass after another pass me by.

And I was passed by EVERYBODY.
I slipped on a manhole cover.
I stepped in dog doo.
I tripped on a crack in the sidewalk in front of Parkway Tropics.
I pratfalled on a piece of garbage.
I was chased by a dog.
I was mocked by passersby as the early spring mist turned my curly hair into a mushroom cloud of frizz.

Getting an attitude, I looked at the looming stop sign and thought "Forget it, I'm turning around up there and going back!"

Then it dawned on me, I had made it to the halfway point. Suddenly, everything changed.

People waved.
Playful canines barked hello.
Obstacles became points where I could leap.
I found "One Little Victory" by Rush on the iPod, and it carried me home.

Inside, organizers congratulated me on being the first 5k finisher. Beaming, I hung out to enjoy a bagel and juice when the realization came to me that I was the ONLY 5k-er to attempt and complete the training run.

RBR yard sign in hand, I managed to walk out to my car a little bit taller with a little bit of swagger. Wasn't pretty, but I proved to myself that I could do it.

No comments:

#700: The Beatles, Ranked! The NAs

Er, not quite Post #700 if I'm counting correctly!  As posted previously, I dialed down my ambition to rank all the Beatles songs, decid...