Sunday, December 18, 2011

Typing Out Loud: "Winning" the war on Christmas

Bend your knees and quit looking down!

So the Christmas show as last week, and in an effort to keep the Christ in Christmas but not drape myself in tinsel or earnestness, I chose to skate to George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord." It's George Harrison! It's a song with a hippie vibe as well as a little gospel soul. And I was able to wear a stunning sheer electric blue tunic with red embroidery that I got at the thrift store for like a nickel. I got many positive comments, and Bex and Leslie think I should keep it for interp. Hm, a joyous artistic/dramatic that isn't heavy nor a generic female ballad. This could happen...

Will completed his studies with Wellerwood School, which is a pretty heady statement about his hour of fingerpaints and snack time. It is significant because he is leaving a program meant for children who are 50% or behind in their development to a pre-school program in the Comstock Park school district for kids who need a little help. This meant we had to say goodbye to Miss Felicia, who was an excellent home school teacher. We have been so lucky in terms of excellent resources for ensuring our boy get all the help he needs to have a chance in life.

I managed to get all the Christmas shopping done by December 11, sticking to budget and getting things packed and ready to ship to Texas. We were not going to have a repeat of shoving crap in a box at the last minute and paying $100 to get it there. And no panicking for last-minute stuff. And no mall.

The only thing that has been a challenge is scheduling the installation of our new flooring in the house. The linoeum in the kitchen was a sorry mess that managed to get filthy about 10 minutes after mopping. We chose of light burnt gold tile that makes the kitchen glow. Oh, it's gorgeous. It now makes everything else look shabby... We are getting carpet in the bedroom and family room this week, so we have some cleaning and hauling to do prior to Thursday. We are also going to explore the incredible world of adhesive tiles for the laundry room and go pick out some new carpet for the dining room and library.

And thankfully, dad is doing well. We had a scare with his heart, but the doctors are assuring us that all is well for now, and gave him and my mom clearance to go to Florida for the rest of the winter. The whole scene was an unfortunate taste of what it is to be an adult child with an aging parent, and prepared me for what lies ahead times four. What do you say, how do you say it, and when should you say it? I still don't know the answer, but I'm closer to it.

No comments:

That's It, Just One Line - Landslide

"Can I sail through the changing ocean tides, can I handle the seasons of my life?"