Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Typing Out Loud: blah, blah, me, blah.

One of my favorite "mirror" illustrations, Norman Rockwell's "The Prom Dress." I want to hug her.

So Mids was an amazing success. I thrived on the PR aspect, making sure I was visible and shaking hands, troubleshooting any potential problems, and had the honor of presenting the big Championship awards since Ann had a hoarse throat.

What I didn't like was the "celebrity" status from the news article that was online on Friday, then in print on Sunday. At first I was flattered by the attention, then happy that adult skating was getting the spotlight, then simply embarrassed by the whole thing. I don't know how celebrities do it, and I was merely on the back page of Sunday's section B.

Frankly, I'm tired of talking about myself. Yeah, ok, I skate and do some stuff that other people don't do, but I'm kind of over the self "awe" part of it. I've been trying to write a blog entry for a couple of days but have been dealing with the "who cares?"

So yeah, I'm done with "me" for a while.

But onto other things. The boy wanted to wear real underwear and use the potty today with great success. I slid him into his Brobee panties at 9:45, and no accidents as of about 6pm tonight. Keep going kid, let's hope this is the last case of diapers. I'll miss the boxes though, they are sturdy and hold a lot of stuff.

I got the telescope and steering wheel from Christmas installed on the back deck for the boy. Oh, he loves them. I also got slats from the deck pulled off and ready for the slide installation, but that is a two-person job that Dave and I have to do. I still held the slide steady so Will could take a couple trips down. We are going to have to sneak a couple buckets of sand for a safe landing at the base.

Weather is awesome, and I desperately wanted to pull a Ferris Bueller and call myself in sick on housework. Anal-retentive won, and I raced to get laundry put away, floors vaccuumed, the bedroom suite floor done so we could go outside and play. I sat on the deck, soaked up some sun and did my nails. Will played in his wading pool - on March 21 - and got really dirty/sandy.

I'm reading a few of the free books from Amazon on the Kindle. There's a reason some of these are free. I'm reading a Christian romance right now, and I'm about to throw my sweet, amazing device across the room because I'm 50% done with the book and there's only been TWO kisses on the forehead, and these were high school sweethearts reconnecting after 10 years apart, looking at wedding rings. OMG, just do it already, even the Little House books had lip-to-lip contact and some heavy flirting by that 19th century babe *sigh* Almanzo. Yes, a total fox circa 1885, do I need to illustrate?

Yeah, I'd go in for a Long Winter with him. *snicker*

 I'm still keeping up with the YMCA's March Madness although not being in it to win it, the whole thing has lost its luster. Also, I've maintained my weight after successive weeks of losing, so I'm kind of pouting about that.

The Monkee madness continues, and I'm still crushing on Peter Tork. Lessee, I'm 42 now, started watching reruns in probably 1975, so that means I have had a crush on him, on and off, for 37 years. As much as I love the Beatles, I never crushed on any of them. What worse, Tork is OLDER than my dad, and at 70, still a rather handsome man. I'm debating buying the series on DVD, I want them, but cheapie that I am, don't want to pay for them.


I know, right?!

My dear darling husband downloaded the entire Monkees catalog for me and I'm delighted to say I've found some fun songs that I either haven't heard or haven't listened to in a long time. A few more fun songs featuring Tork are Tear the Top Right Off, You Don't Know Me at All, and Do I Have To Do This All Over Again? Then there's his banjo playing on the Nesmith song You Told Me. I did watch via YouTube the TV special 33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee, and what a bizarre, hot mess that was. Where the movie Head was an awesome deconstruction to the Monkee myth, this was, and I quote from IMBD, "the four of them shouting eff you to the TV for an hour." Still, there were great musical moments in the second half, including them jamming with 50s rock stars like Jerry Lee Lewis and Fats Domino. And Tork on the organ.

Adult Nationals is a few weeks away, and the official schedule has been released. I'm competing on Friday etween 4:30 - 6:30 and Saturday at 1:10. Bette and the Lunchlady live!

No comments:

Rethinking Black

How can I love a rare steak with crispy bits? Rely on a good chef. Black is... Taste: the flavorful, crispy bits on a well-prepared rare st...