Thursday, March 15, 2012

What's Right with the World: Adult Skating

Yeah we competed against each other, but it was more like with each other.

It's finally here -- Adult Midwestern Sectional Championships unofficially starts with practice ice and the arrival of officials and peeps tomorrow, officially with event #1, Champ Men, Saturday at 8a sharp.

I'm completely exhausted, and I have a marathon to "run" until 8p Sunday. But I am exhilarated knowing that the medals are here, the programs printed, the competitors bags stuffed, media interviews completed, judges' gifts presentable.

Most of all, I'm looking forward to throwing our friends a great party. Friends? Yes, I consider most all of my competitors my friends. That is one of the great things about adult skating, the camaraderie of the ice and spirit of competition.

My first experience as an adult skater was the Grand Rapids Open, 2001. Scared as hell, I was in a group of nine skaters and trying to figure out a strategy. I was a pre-bronzer against silver and bronze skaters so I had no chance, so my goal was to not throw up. Easy enough, I didn't eat 3 days beforehand.

Having gone to a couple of adult competitions before, I knew the culture was to throw little gifts out of the ice, affectionately known as tossies or throwies. I had acrylic flowers and tiny teddy bears, and made sure I had something for each of my competitors. Most did the same for me. I came in 8th, got  my peach colored horse show ribbon, and made some new friends.

Oh, that list of friends has grown over the years. I'm proud to say I have friends from Hawaii to Maine and beyond (Mrs. Redboots and Sarajayne, UK representin'!). These are people who go out of their way to cheer, offer encouragement, and sneak tasty beverages in the stands. I've felt this kind of camaraderie before as a member of Phi Gamma Nu, but never before have I felt a part of such a unique and special tribe.

These are my people - adult skaters.

No comments:

That's It, Just One Line - Landslide

"Can I sail through the changing ocean tides, can I handle the seasons of my life?"