Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Why Art Matters - Maggie's Kitchen



It's her!



Some people use pen, some paint, and others the stage to nourish their creative appetites. But when it's all said and done, we need nourishment of another kind, because we're hungry! And thank goodness that's when another team of artists takes over.

I first discovered Maggie's Kitchen on Bridge St., back in '98 when one of the graphic designers I worked with brought in a savory to-go container that made mouths water through the department.

The restaurant is named for Magdalena Garcia, who loved to cook as a child. Family run, the place is always busy, with the rich, seductive aromas assulting your senses before you even enter the establishment.

If you are a Taco Bell type of person, the prices will be a bit on the high side. But if you prefer authentic flavors that are still quite easy on the wallet, there's plenty to choose from. Daily specials make some of the more expensive platters a treat; today I had the tostada platter for $5.95. There's even a new kid's menu, and Will had his quesadilla with a side of rice and beans.  
Oddly enough, the challege eating there is every meal becomes a favorite, you crave it, and you get stuck in a rut. I ate the fajita platters for years until a torta special turned me onto the sandwiches. A tight wallet neccessitated a lunch of a single, generously portioned taco. And the tostada special brought about the new favorite.

Another feature of the restaurant is its support of local artists. I have been surprised on occasion to stop by the place, only to find it was closed for a gallery show. I'm eager to know what is going in next, as the walls were stripped bare today.

Oh, I could extoll the virtues of the place in very bad Spanglish, but it's better to just go place your order and settle into a booth with a grapefruit Jarrito and let the delicious wash over you.

No comments:

#700: The Beatles, Ranked! The NAs

Er, not quite Post #700 if I'm counting correctly!  As posted previously, I dialed down my ambition to rank all the Beatles songs, decid...