Saturday, October 1, 2022

October Playlist: The Plastic Strawberries

I'd probably go for the A-line dress and the bucket hat, the stockings are a bit much. 

Here's the band, that's my jam!

So I'm on some alt universe cover band kick where I imagine myself the lead guitarist. This one comes from doing one of those "name the thing in your hand and the last thing you ate" quizzes and The Plastic Strawberries came to be. What smells like plastic strawberries? Kids toys, like Strawberry Shortcake dolls, Hello Kitty markers, and scratch and sniff stickers.

What's hilarious about it is the costuming that comes to mind.  There's a whole lot of cottage core to unpack - think about those aprons, striped stockings, and bucket hats. 

So October's alt universe band will do punk versions of song about food or at least it appears to be about food, but that innuendo...! 

The Brothers Johnson, Strawberry Letter 23 - is it R&B or psychedelic pop?  

Kacey Musgraves, Biscuits - people serve fruit desserts on everything from angel food cake to those yellow cake cups to biscuits. Kacey is serving a message in this song as well. 

The Rolling Stones, Brown Sugar - cooking in more ways than one. 

The Cars, Candy-O - I mean, it's just cool. 

Garbage, Cherry Lips - it turns up on my lists time and again for a reason. It stays. 

Lizzo, Juice/Coconut Oil - a newer artist who frankly kicks ass. You play that crystal flute!

Tori Amos, Cornflake Girl - this is an all girl band dressed like plastic dolls, so yes.

Van Halen, Ice Cream Man - every time Dave gives me grief about loving the pop metal Van Hagar era, I counter with DLR's penchant for tin pan alley. 

Labelle, Lady Marmalade - of course a band dedicated to fruit is going to do this. 

The Beatles, Savoy Truffle - I was trying to avoid the Fabs since I overrepresent them on playlists, but c'mon - this song is George Harrison reading the lid off a box of candy, just to make fun of Eric Clapton. 

Band merch will include scratch and sniff stickers and brightly colored t-shirt dresses because I've seen entirely too many moody black prog rock t-shirts lately. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...