Tuesday, November 1, 2022

November Playlist: Originals!

I’ve got a hand in this.

So I was at the Porcupine Tree show in September, surrounded by dudes entirely too tall for me to even attempt to stand on tiptoe to see the band. They were performing in shadows with a video playing behind them, so it was enough for me to sit and listen to the music. The mind started to wander, and I thought, "I could write a song."

Since I've got a set list of cover tunes I can play, what about original material? I mean, if the guy from Poison can knock out Every Rose Has Its Thorn, I could pen... something? 

I'm feeling tongue in cheek, a little punkish, a little open mic night, a little folky. Also feeling like this is the start of a new year’s resolution. I could write a song a month, with the resolve not to self edit or worry if it’s crap or not. After years of trying to win gold medals or complete a run with a personal best, might be nice to get an idea down on paper then let it go without worrying if it’s Grammy-worthy.

The girls.

I Wanna Be Stevie Nicks - an homage with a twist. Lyrics have me focusing on Stevie's lace, broken hearts, fairies, and doe eyes. But with her fuck it attitude and whiskey tinged vocals maaaaaybe, just maybe, I'd rather be Christine McVie. 

Fat Mom - meet me where I am. And who am I? Someone who is tired of fad diets and exercise class, who'd rather take a walk than a run. Someone transitioning away from an afternoon skate for little league double headers. Someone coming to terms with occupying my skin. Empowerment punk.

Canning Jar - letting my inner Laura out, and spicing things up with some country flavor. Gotta save the fruit, so some fun with color and flavor. 

Retro Crush - moms dream too! I obviously am nursing a little golden heart for 70s John Deacon "who's the shy boy behind Freddie? I suddenly want to go steady! But look at me, and he's in Queen and that was so many years agoooooo." LOL. 

Bracket to Counter - I have to sing about skating. This will be my turn - literally - at being Christine Lavin, the folk artist who wrote a song about the 1961 plane crash that took down the USFSA skating team. I can find a lilting melody and sing in quiet desperation about moving along and finding the joy in skating, and possibly my time in the sport as a competitor coming to a close. 

Ismeta - a story song. We were staying at a Hampton Inn downtown Chicago where we encountered the most astonishing breakfast room manager. It was 5-star treatment for galley kitchen free breakfast. She's Bosnian, and worked the room as if it were her life's work. She gave little bits of love to everyone, a banana for a man on the go, cinnamon rolls for Will, a hug and Earl Grey for me. What's the story there? 

Light a Candle, Say a Prayer - introspection. I'm not the only Catholic struggling with the church, yet pretty sure my faith is intact. Or is it? 

I'd Give You Mine - more introspection. Just someone is in need, and I wish I could give him what he needs but I can't.

Victory - I wrote this song when I was eight years old, and it was about overcoming shyness, winning a spelling bee, standing up to the school bully, all the things an eight year old would consider a victory. Can a 53 year old remember who she was (checks math) 45 years ago? 

Merch! Oh, I'd have Rachel, my cartoonist friend from Italy draw me and Deaky together for stickers. Concert tee would be a slightly out of focus photo of two hands canning some berry jam, or Ismeta's hands offering a to-go paper cup of tea. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...