Monday, March 20, 2023

March Playlist: Bob Seger

The long-haired hippie looks surprisingly ok in the midwestern 70s because he's Bob.

WHAT!? In all my years writing monthly playlists, I cannot believe I've not featured Ann Arbor's favorite son. Michigan's blue-collar troubadour. Rock and roll Hall of Famer. And the guy who is all over Sirius XM’s Top 1000 Classic Rock countdown.

There are many stories about Seger willing to show up and play wherever he's welcome. One of the jokes is he would show up at the opening of a garage. On a flatbed truck. And bring his own beer. In Newaygo. Or was it White Cloud?

I appreciate the longevity of his career; although he started playing in the late 60s, his string of hits took his career into the 00s, so I can lay claim to enjoying his music as a first-generation listener. 

Night Moves - critic's pick as his best.

Turn the Page - always makes me think of our next-door neighbor Patty.  I think she played this one daily one summer.

Mainstreet - that sax!

Shame on the Moon - why TF didn't any boy want to dance with me to this? One of the designated slow dance songs freshman year, 1983. Why don't I - wait for it - skate to this? When discussing a new direction, this is on the shortlist as my new free dance. 

Roll Me Away - soul-freeing lyrics: "As the sunset faded I spoke to the faintest first starlight and I said next time... next time... we'll get it right." Yes, I will. 

Like a Rock - I think this was a hit for him in the 80s and the 90s. Truck commercial.

Tryin' to Live My Life Without You - "ol' Memphis song..." Cara and I would sing this loudly and drunkenly. 

Nutbush City Limits - Tina or Bob? I don't have to choose because I choose them both.

Beautiful Loser - I have a promo copy of this from an A&R man I bought at a garage sale, proclaiming this would be the song that would make him a star. It did.

We've Got Tonight - don't need tomorrow... let's make it last, let's find a way... 

Against the Wind - I mean the hits just keep coming.

You'll Accomp'ny Me - How romantic does this rough and tumble guy get?

No comments:

Rethinking Orange

I have a thing for citrus Orange is... Taste:  candied grapefruit peel that is bright, citrusy, bitter, and sweet Touch: warm sunshine with ...