Thursday, March 9, 2023

March's Secret Life of Objects: The Bowl from Lake Placid

Oh! Oh! Oh!

The girls and I trekked to Lake Placid in 2008 for Adult Nationals. It was a memorable trip for many reasons, from Jen’s triumphant bronze in the free skate, Becky coming out of her shell, Dee’s standing ovation, our “go judges!” chant, Leslie’s butt, Burt’s threat to kick a redneck’s ass, Amanda’s hardboiled eggs, adopting Todd, Michelle's hard New England accent while at the “Price Chappa,” and our tourist trap pit stop at a glassworks shop selling moose balls and artisan glass. 

While some of our group was shopping for mini moose and Team USA gear, I was engaged in watching the glass blower. And so was another shopper who got a little too excited about the artist at work, and she narrated the process with overly enthusiastic commentary…

“Is he adding blue? Is he? Ohmigod it’s beaauuuutiful!”

“What’s he going to make? A bowl? A plate? Oh, oh, it’s a vaaaaaaase! You’re amazing!”

“Oh, the colors! Did you see... purple!”

She squealed. She shouted. She freaked the fuck out. 

And she got me excited too. I had started collecting pieces of art from trips to AN and decided I had to have the polks-dotted bowl with the blots that ended up being cobalt.

To this day when Becky comes over she gives exclaims “oh oh oh!” as soon as she lays eyes on it. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...