Saturday, April 1, 2023

April's Song: Bracket to Counter

Goal: write a song a month, with the resolve to not self-edit or worry if it’s crap. Let's write this one with my folkie favorite Christine Lavin in mind. This is the month I should be going to adult nationals; instead, I'm home. 

Light tracings on a light blue canvas,

Frost scraped away. 

Sharp edges pushing and pulling, 

The effort for the day.


A melody of twists and turns, 

For it's poetry laid on ice. 

Bracket to counter, a sustained glide, 

This dance is my one true vice. 


It's a symphony of movement, 

With clever athletic leaps. 

Jumps named for former greats,

A legacy we are bound to keep. 


Do I do it for the cheers?

Maybe just a bit.

Do I do it for the medals? 

I admit they give me a lift. 


But I do it for the movement, 

The clever athletic leaps, 

A chance to prove I can be great, 

Pride in myself I keep. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...