Sunday, April 9, 2023

April Playlist: Spin the Choice

Keren, Sara, Siobhan - hell yeah she's got it

Exhibits A-I of diva power a full 10 years before the Girls of Spice

I really need to expand my music choices, I am in a classic rock rut. I'm not blaming Queen or The Beatles, but when you release a fantastic biopic and an engaging documentary, you're going to get sucked in. 

But I'm making a switch on my radio dial, and have been listening to NĂ¼ rock instead of classic rock. The local station recently replaced Tony Gates for a guy who is, frankly, a jackass. A bully, even. I just can't listen to him anymore. 

So I'm struggling to write a playlist this month, nothing is sticking and I'm already tired of Incubus and Seven Mary Three. Do I head back over to the world of music on WYCE? 

I used "spin the choice" on my iPhone to list the songs I landed on, flipping from A to Z. That means the newest song maybe two years old since I haven't bought too much new music lately. And this will be a list sans Fabs or Deaky, sorry boys.

All the Good Girls, Billie Ellish - mmkay, someone new

Bad, U2 - an excellent choice, alas it's over 30 years old

Crackerman, Stone Temple Pilots - another song old enough for a mortgage and a divorce

Don't Leave My Mind, Azure Ray - I think it's one of those free songs with purchase from Starbucks before Taylor Swift raised a stink about giving the art away

(next spin landed on Find My Way by Paul McCartney, a new song from 2021 but he's a Fab so he's OUT)

Get the Paper, Your Old Droog - little hip hop about reading the paper with coffee, unexpected

Handel: Water Music, London Symphony Orchestra - it's a classic jam

I Gotcha, Joe Tex - from the best Valentine ever, my 70s Soul Box

The Lazy Song, Bruno Mars - I think this was released in the last 10 years and lazy indeed

Not Fade Away, The Rolling Stones - I'm up to 1982 in Keith Richards' biography Life. I'm enthralled with his stories of the creative process and the industry, less than so when he talks about his drug addiction

Only the Lonely, The Motels - heavy rotation on MTV in the 80s

Passive Manipulation, The White Stripes - a rare turn at the mike for Meg

Saturday Night, The Bay City Rollers - I DID skate to it and decided it wasn't what I wanted to put on the ice

Venus, Bananarama - "Goddess on the mountaintop, burning like a silver flame..." I was HERE for those dance moves

When She Begins, Social Distortion - the best part about seeing The Ramones live back in 1993 was when they were the opening act

You Just May be the One, The Monkees - career revival 5.0 coming this week on AXS-TV, as the sitcom has been added to its retro Friday night lineup

100%, Sonic Youth - from the only Sweetest Day present I ever received

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...