Monday, April 3, 2023

Typing Out Loud: Graduation T-Shirt Quilt

So I made a few mom friends through Will. Nikki, his friend Gio's mom, noticed I've made a few t-shirt quilts over the years. Could I make one for his big sister Sofia? 

Okay... bring me your box. I took an evening at the cottage to use my sewing chalk and quilting square to measure and cut the t-shirts down. 

I sorted the shirts and pieced them in such a way that I didn't have any one color touching, all while trying to distribute school, bands, dance, and theatre squares evenly. 

Stitched the top together! 

Then came the puzzle of the batting. What she provided me with was a tied fleece blanket. It was, however, too small, so I had to untie the fleece and stitch them into one long piece of batting. The backing was easy, she brought a tie-dyed pink twin flat sheet. Reuse and recycle people! 

Next, I had to layer the pieces together - batting, back, and top outside facing in. 

Because I was dealing with 4 way stretch jersey, fleece, and cotton, the only way to keep it all together without falling askew was to pin it, which I hate, because I'm lazy. I let the pieces rest together (if that's a thing), to allow them to, I dunno, get to know each other. 

Then I stitched the whole thing together! Again, since I'm lazy, I like to hit the pedal full throttle and get it done as fast as possible, which is always a mistake. I made a deal with myself to slow down and let the machine pick the pace.  After completing each side seam, I removed the pins, smoothed the whole thing down, and repinned if necessary. It really didn't take that much more time, and I was able to stitch the three sides and 3/4 of the bottom seam so smoothly, that I was able to turn it inside out in a matter of minutes, and fold over the last square to sew it shut. 

Actual hand quilting! I used durable quilting thread to hand-stitch the t-shirt corners in order to hold the batting in place.

Just a quick stitch and tie. 

Wrapped up and ready for Sofia! 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...