Thursday, June 1, 2023

June's Song: Ismeta


Goal: write a song a month, with the resolve to not self-edit or worry if it’s crap.

This one was inspired by the woman who ran the breakfast room in our downtown Chicago hotel, treating each of us as if we were one of her children about to eat breakfast on the go. She was generous with her time and attention and I've never encountered something like that. So what's the story? 

It's just a job,

Someone might say.

But I see my children, 

In every day. 


A courtesy offered by the hotel,

And an opportunity for me,

To offer a pancake, 

Or even a cup of tea. 


A weary past left far behind, 

To find refuge in the wind. 

A new life around the world, 

The morning alarm my hymn. 


This lobby is a friendly place, 

To greet people and to see, 

If I can offer gentle comfort,

Or even a cup of tea. 


This lobby, this table, is all I have, 

So please take a seat. 

I can offer you warmth before you go, 

And even a cup of tea.  

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...