Friday, June 3, 2022

Why Art Matters: Afghan Rescue

 

We went garage sale-ing, and I found this beautiful afghan for only fifty cents! Why? The woman selling it was embarrassed at its condition and warned me it would take a lot of work to repair. You see the first hole is pretty obvious... 

Well, I wasn't going to let a little elbow grease get in the way of me enjoying the fruits of someone else's labor. I got the sewing kit out and got to work on fixing those frayed, torn stitches. I used old sewing and cross-stitch techniques to knot and tie the repairs together. I washed it once to see if it would hold. To make the repairs last, I changed to a heavier thread and added more stitches. 

Here's a before... 

After!

Before... 


After!


Unfortunately, there were some holes too mangled to fix. I don't know what to do with this right now, except leave it as a note that the previous owner loved it and used it before fate passed it to me. 


I completed work on it last night, Oscar and Felix admired the effort that went into giving it new life. I can enjoy the fruits of my own labor. It is folded and in the laundry basket to return to its up north home.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...