Monday, August 21, 2023

Typing Out Loud: Maybe It's Me

Do it for the boy.

I'm having some high school angst, and I'm 36 years removed from my own graduation. 

I'm having mom-of-high-schooler low self-esteem issues.

Scenario one: I took two days off to help with band uniforms. I was good enough at it that we got the seniors, juniors, and all but two of the sophomores fitted in on Monday. I had to work Tuesday, so I had Wednesday free. I get a text message that I was not needed on Wednesday. 

"Not needed" set me to anxious. Why was I not needed?

OMG, calm down...

Scenario two: The next week was Dave's turn, and he planned to be there all day, every day, for a week. I was going to show for lunch and dinner to help do dishes, clean up, and help with snack duties. The benefit of this was free lunch and dinner. One day, I show up for lunch, everything was already taken care of, and I was invited by the lunch lady to have lunch. 

I was gently chastised for taking lunch when I wasn't volunteering, which was said to me as I was putting dishes away, asking the crew for something to do to earn my keep. A slight misunderstanding that my head made a mountain out of a molehill. 

Drama much?

Scenario three: dropping Will off to perform in the local parade, I asked casually if I could help. I was ignored completely while they were whisking around doing this and that. So I left. 

The parade was nice. 

I found solace in pitching in to help with athletic boosters, first cleaning the concession stands, then selling spirit wear at the community celebration event. Low risk, no drama, even gave me time to walk around with my family to see and do things. And I'm holding out hope that the cheer moms will be welcoming. 

I don't know, people are too busy to be running around massaging my ego, but some friendly inclusion would be nice. Or maybe I need to step aside and let all of this be about Will and Pia - it does not have to be about me. 

Well, the cheer moms HAVE been welcoming and now I'm one of the athletic board booster representatives for cheer. Be careful what you wish for! 

No comments:

Rethinking Orange

I have a thing for citrus Orange is... Taste:  candied grapefruit peel that is bright, citrusy, bitter, and sweet Touch: warm sunshine with ...