Tuesday, August 8, 2023

What’s Right in the World: Matching Sapphires

Affordable luxury. 

While at a wedding reception, a shy dinner companion happened to be wearing the same sapphire necklace as I. Cheerfully, I pointed out we were twinsies. It was apparent from her accent English was her second language and she didn’t understand at first what I was saying. I was also shouting over the DJ. I pointed at our necklaces and said we matched. 

She smiled at me radiantly and said, “Oh thank you for noticing, it’s the only fine thing I own. I cherish it.” 

This threw me for a moment. I was in a room full of beautiful people, a scene straight out of Crazy Rich Asians, with guests decked in expensive gowns and jewels. And then there’s me; while I am no Hilton or Kardashian, I still had my pick of many wonderful clothes and adornments to choose from for the occasion. 

I love and cherish mine too. 

We weren't able to have a conversation, she seemed self-conscious and didn't seem to know anyone else there, a plus one, the guest of a guest. Our thing in common was the necklace and being in the same place at the same time. Still, she made me recognize that I have more than one fine thing to wear, appreciate, and cherish.

No comments:

Rethinking Orange

I have a thing for citrus Orange is... Taste:  candied grapefruit peel that is bright, citrusy, bitter, and sweet Touch: warm sunshine with ...