Monday, August 14, 2023

Secret Life of Objects - Navy Silk Dress

Just one more wear?

Putting laundry away and picking a dress to wear to a wedding, I pulled my lovely and loyal navy blue silk out. 

Where’d I get it? The clearance rack at Old Navy well over 20 years ago on a work-free afternoon when we lived in Saint Louis. 

It has survived this long because frankly, I was too fat to wear it for a couple of years. I put on weight struggling with fertility and then again after I had Will. It was a New Year's goal back in 2012 to be able to wear it to my class reunion in November, and I was able to start wearing it again by May. 

The hilarious "That door is a liar!" situation with Jill.

Hanging with Rob, I'm looking especially cute if I do say so. 

It’s effortless chic, a simple A-line with a slight ruffle at the neck and cuffs, the fabric is light and floaty, and it drapes but doesn’t cling. It dresses up with nice shoes and jewels or down with sandals and sunglasses. Falling just above the knee, the length is neither scandalous nor frumpy. 

It still fits, but alas, the fabric is wearing thin and discolored in the armpits, no matter how carefully I have hand-washed and air-dried. 

Twenty years, clearance rack, it doesn’t owe me a dime, but I can’t seem to part with it. Maybe a new effortless “it” dress will allow me to let it go. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...