Friday, March 1, 2024

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Sushi

My lunch getaway in Olivette

When I worked in the Central West End in Saint Louis, I was kind of lonely at lunchtime as outside of the occasional meeting or getaway, everyone I worked with did their own thing. The Al-Anon building next door always had stellar burgers and chips for $3. I do remember fondly walking the neighborhood and taking in a few choice spots like the Chase Park Plaza with Judith or hitting the Indian buffet with Prashant, my print vendor.

But I was also the only one at Catholic Charities with a hankering for sushi in a hot, humid climate. 

I can't remember how I found I Love Mr Sushi since it was a hole-in-the-wall in an area I didn't drive through, but Yoshi made it a destination for lunch. "Hello, hello!" he would greet me, gesturing to an open spot at the bar, and feeding me a bite of whatever roll he was experimenting with. 

My favorite item to order there was one of three $10 lunch specials that always included green tea, ginger salad, and miso soup. The extra I always ordered was the salmon skin hand roll - a cone of rice, cucumber, radish greens, spicy sauce, and toasty salmon skin. I wish I knew what made them so incredible, and I haven't had better since. 

This is also where I first experienced vegetable tempura, white tuna, and caviar. 

I'd roll back into the office, full and satisfied but not stuffed. 

It's been almost 20 years since I last ate there. Yoshi moved on to open a restaurant in the western suburbs then he closed up shop without explanation. People still mourn his disappearance. Checking online, the lunch specials at Mr. Sushi are still the same, they're just $15 now. Maybe if I make it back there during the week someday...

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...