Friday, April 5, 2024

Typing Out Loud: For Emily

I hope you are flying across the ice, somewhere

Every year, I have to take the oath "I consider it an honor and a privilege" to be an official in figure skating. It may come across as a little Pollyanna-ish, but I do. How amazing it is to get the best seats in the house to see someone demonstrate to you how much they love the sport. 

And that's why it hurts that there's one less pair of skates on the ice. 

A skater I am familiar with died in a car crash along with her mother and brother on Easter morning. I didn't know her well, I can't even tell you honestly if I have said more than "good job" as I passed her in a lobby going from rink to hospitality. 

Still, my heart hurts. 

She was a lower-level skater and at the age of 16, wasn't destined for nationals. But I knew who she was every time she took the ice. She was an active team member of her high school skating team, continued to compete when and where she could, and demonstrated every time she took the ice how much she loved the sport. I'm pleased I was the one who suggested her to Ginni as a way to expand her team. I was looking forward to her going to college and watching her represent her university because I knew she would continue. 

Like other skaters before her - Hanna, Jenna, India, Megan - I was looking forward to watching her grow into a confident and capable young woman.

USFS frowns upon commenting on skaters on social media, but since this is a memorial, I deserve a pass. If someone sees this and wants to report it, go ahead. Rest in peace, Emily. I'm going to miss you. 

No comments:

Rethinking Orange

I have a thing for citrus Orange is... Taste:  candied grapefruit peel that is bright, citrusy, bitter, and sweet Touch: warm sunshine with ...