Monday, April 1, 2024

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Soup

I'm still losing my mind over a bowl of soup.

A trip to see the in-laws for what we dubbed "Birthankmas" in 2012 resulted in this glorious concoction, the best bowl of soup I ever ate.

Unfortunately, Facebook check-ins weren’t what they are now and I can’t recall the name of the restaurant, just that it was a hole in the wall near a hospital in Lopezville, Texas. 

It was the day's special and simply listed as chicken soup. 

The broth was rich and hearty, and loaded with fresh vegetables and chicken. I’m a lazy potato boiler and didn’t mind the chunks with the skin still on. Option to add rice if I wanted - which I did. I remember giving Dave the tortillas. It was one of the few times I had cilantro and it tasted great; usually, it tastes like metallic soap. 

I do have to dole out some love for my favorite everyday soup, the hot and sour soup at First Wok. It's been a go-to since I first moved to the Grand Rapids area and the lunch special was $6.50. It's now $13 and I don't even care.

Special shout out to a long-gone favorite in Saint Louis called Applegates. It was a deli with a soup bar, where on any given day you could select one of 24 different soups. My favorite was the tomato basil with cheese ravioli. 

No comments:

Rethinking Orange

I have a thing for citrus Orange is... Taste:  candied grapefruit peel that is bright, citrusy, bitter, and sweet Touch: warm sunshine with ...