Monday, January 23, 2012

What's Right with the World - A Penny for a Ride


A local grocery store chain has a very nice feature in their store, a mechanical horse ride named Sandy that a kid can ride for a penny.

These days of debit cards, food stamps, extreme couponing and rubbing two nickels together to make the grocery bill can make a penny or two scarce. That's why I was so heartened to see this little pile of pennies on Sandy's base, making it possible for 5 kids to get a free ride.

It's only pennies, so what makes this so special? The insignificance of it makes it significant. There's no glory in giving a penny, but SOMEONE had to make an effort to give it. As a gift, it's intent is pure -- go have fun it, it's on me. And to see them there was a delightful surprise to me.

I took a picture of the pile and posted it on facebook. Immediately, friends and family posted reminices of riding Sandy after grocery shopping. Others were also inspired to leave their own pile of pennies in the grocery store to give other penniless kids a treat.

Just a little thing about the nature of people that makes me smile.

No comments:

That's It, Just One Line - Landslide

"Can I sail through the changing ocean tides, can I handle the seasons of my life?"