Sunday, June 26, 2022

The Bomb Pop

Mmmmmm

Taking Will over to grandma’s, Dave asked him what his favorite treat was from the ice cream truck. He didn’t really have an answer, but I rocked out a top three: lemon-lime sorbet pops, strawberry shortcake bars, and the bomb pop firmly at number one. 

Back in maybe 1980, I bought a bomb pop at the beginning of summer. The final licks of cherry, lemon, and blue raspberry revealed a star stamped on the stick. This was winning the kid lottery: this stick entitled me to a free bomb pop. 

All summer long, one popsicle after another revealed a star prize - I couldn’t believe my luck! It was a summer of bright cherry lips painted with patriotic quintessentially frozen confections. Finally, around Labor Day, I got a stick with only half a star. The driver, a season of profits given away to this frizzy little patron, sighed and said “ok, but this is the last one.” 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...