Thursday, September 1, 2022

September Playlist: The Lady Madonnas

What do we have here…?

So I post all the time about The Beatles, which can be a bore, so my alt universe band has to be a mashup. Purely due to the song Lady Madonna, this tribute band is an homage to the Fabs and the Material Girl.

Since personas are her thing, like The Ramones, each member adopts one of her alter egos - Madge, Dita, Susan, Evita, All the Way Mae. 

I loved Madonna as a teenager, I thought she spoke for repressed Catholic schoolgirls everywhere. So following the Classic Albums Live format, TLMs would perform in its entirety 1989's Like a Prayer, Madonna's best album. It’s got drama, empowerment anthems, girl group pop, melancholy, family sing-a-longs, sex, and her bizarre fight with a hotel desk clerk. Incense during a must, a nod towards the scents still present in my old, worn cassette. Encore? A wistful swan song version of Music, the point in her career where she lost me. Couldn’t you have grown old gracefully? 

As for The Beatles side of things, hm. I’ve read recent articles about how feminist they were, especially Paul. What songs would an all-girl cover band do that might dive deeper into the catalog? And I want to cut this short, because I think the Lady Madonnas are eyeing new age Ray of Light era next.

Lady Madonna, natch

Lovely Rita, I mean she takes him out to dinner

Two of Us, because friendship

Your Mother Should Know, because moms

She Said She Said, because it’s trippy

If I Needed Someone, because it’s George being a bitch

Roberta, do not pair this with lavender jeans.

Causing a commotion

We have to talk stage costuming. I like the idea of sporting the Desperately Seeking Susan illuminati jacket. And then there was her early street punk phase, because I covet the Keith Haring neon yellow pumps. The Who's That Girl street urchin look was kind of cute, makes me wonder if she found all-stretch lace all the time a little too itchy. 

No comments:

Rethinking Orange

I have a thing for citrus Orange is... Taste:  candied grapefruit peel that is bright, citrusy, bitter, and sweet Touch: warm sunshine with ...