Friday, December 30, 2022

2023 Resolution, Setting Boundaries

You engage in lots of self-reflection painting a 3 x 5’ closet. 

A friend on social media dropped the New Year’s resolution question and I popped off a thought. 

Oh sweet Kim, of course we can hang.

The more I think about it, the more I want to do this. I’ve had my feelings hurt by extending invitations countless times to friends and family only to have those invitations ignored. I have made peace with it, thinking “everybody is busy these days,” and yet there were no invitations extended to me.

Time to let go and not let it hurt me anymore. 

There’s another group of friends whom we got together on the regular, and I tried to make it when I could. I valued friendships and made the effort. Had a falling out with one person in the group, didn’t think it would spill over, honestly should have been over a long time ago. But then I noticed the core group would travel to visit her but not me. And the invites stopped coming.

I get it, you made your choice. It’s me, I’m the problem. That hurts too, especially from two I counted as my best friends from grade school and high school.

I’m letting it go. I’d rather be enjoyed than tolerated. 

But there is a silver lining: more time for others. Setting boundaries. And giving people a chance to miss our friendship and reconnect. It’s happening already. 

No comments:

Rethinking Orange

I have a thing for citrus Orange is... Taste:  candied grapefruit peel that is bright, citrusy, bitter, and sweet Touch: warm sunshine with ...