Thursday, December 29, 2022

LHOTR: Closet Cleanup

Fugly
…to finished!

I have harbored some hate for the closet at the cottage. Unfinished floor, bandaid colored walls, boards jammed in over chair rails for shelving, and old, curling shelf paper.

I discovered a few leftover loose planks in the basement and that was all the motivation I needed; I couldn’t wait for the holiday break to tear it all apart. I took a quick trip to Menards and told the boys to go snowmobiling.

Day one was spent painting the walls flat white and the shelves Mediterranean blue. I decided to remove the extra shelf and slide the white shelving unit flush against that back wall. This opens the closet up and being on the northern wall, blocks the cold.

I realized I didn’t bring enough flooring up and grabbed a whole box during a return trip back home. Good thing, it was a completely different floor - one of the boxes from an abandoned laundry room project. But I liked the color better. Ninety percent of the floor was installed in ten percent of the time it took to lay it down. I was tired and should have done my math to know I needed four boards plus two inches, but for some reason thought I needed two and a half, and spent the better part of the evening recutting planks to finish the job.  

Day three was spent cutting and nailing baseboards down. I solved the transition strip problem at the door by laying the baseboard flat and nailing it to the floor. I was surprised at how nice it looked. 

I finished by screwing small hooks into the chair rail the previous owners used to create a lip for the shelves. These are good for hanging little stuff like hats, swimsuits, drawstring backpacks, and dry bags. I also got a shade for the naked bulb.

I have since needed things from the closet just as an excuse to admire the makeover. Sure, it’s the work of an amateur; flat cuts instead of mitered edges (is that the right word?), I need to fill my nail holes, do paint touch-ups, and fix some of my mistakes, but it was a quick three-day labor project at the little house. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...