Monday, December 12, 2022

December's Song: I Wanna Be Stevie Nicks

RIP Songbird

We are starting my new year's resolution a month early. The goal: write a song a month, with the resolve to not self-edit or worry if it’s crap. I feel like the melody has to be 90s indie rock, maybe a little Mazzy Star. Dedicated to Christine McVie. 

She’s a doe-eyed beauty with fairy hair

Kissing drummers on a dare, 

Making records about heartbreak

As if our lives were at stake.


Wrapped tightly in a shawl 

Keeping Tom close on call, 

Singing about life so free

All the girls wanted to be... Stevie. 


A gypsy life, a tambourine, 

A muse enthralled with witches.

Enveloped in lace and sadness,

A siren's song bewitchin'.


She started life as Stephanie

An angel from the desert came to be.

A new persona came one eve, 

And then she changed her name to... Stevie. 


But who is that in the back, 

Hair shining, a California sheen.

Singing tales of love, and fun, 

And everything...


Baby,

Put down your tambourine.

Place your heart upon the keyboard,

Because, oh maybe, instead, I want to be...

Christine. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...