Monday, April 20, 2020

The Brewery, Las Vegas - closed

Iconic Vegas

Ok, I've got a real beef with the Las Vegas entry for this book. The place was called The Brewery, and it's location was about 3 blocks from the Strip. Three blocks! And it's nowhere near Fremont street! I don't know what the layout of Vegas was in the 70s, but this appears to miss the mark even then. Google maps reveals it is now a parking lot near a Fairfield Inn and a tapas restaurant. I'm finding with amazing frequency that these things happen.

HOWEVER!

How do you do an entry from Vegas on a place with as generic a name as The Brewery? An internet search of bars and nightclubs in Vegas in the 70s reveals a vast array of interesting places one could have featured instead. It has been known as the Entertainment Capital of the World since the 1930s after all.

I found one reference to the Brewery on a message board: "... I remember the disco at the Brewery." That's all I have found.

Jeez, even Paul Anka had The Shark Club in the 70s...

Being extremely judgmental, I decided to see if there was an author or editor for the book. "Recipes compiled and selected by Playboy Club International." Methinks they either didn't want to give free publicity to a competitive property, or this was one of their own. Hm.

There's three recipes in the book, none of which contain beer. Since I've been on a blue curacao kick in my selections, I will go instead for the Brewer's Rocker.

Brewer's Rocker
  • 2 oz. tequila
  • 5 oz. iced tea
  • lemon wedge
  • lime wedge
Add tequila and iced tea to a chilled glass, add ice. Garnish with fruit. Add sugar to sweeten if desired.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...