Friday, April 24, 2020

Bully III - evolved...?



So, ok: an internet search for the Bully III takes me instead to the Bully Ranch Bar & Restaurant which is located inside Sonnenalp Hotel. It's located at 20 Vail Rd. 

The book gives Bully III's address as being 20 Meadow Drive, kitty-corner from the current location. 

I don't see the logic of competing restaurants named Bully so close together, so I would argue that Bully's moved across the street into the hotel and dropped the III's. But why the III's in the first place...?

A clue, perhaps, lies in the hotel's timeline, from 1979:

Intrigued with the success of the Vail Ski Resort, Karlheinz and GretlFaessler purchase the Wedel Inn Motel next to the Covered Bridge. They remodel its 38 rooms and rename it the Hotel Sonnenalp. In 1986, the name changed to the Sonnenalp Austria Haus. The Austria Haus Club and Hotel occupies the site today.

I think the Bully moved when the hotel was sold and renovated. So my vote is evolved.

Mudslides look to be the signature drink now, but back in the swanky 70s, this little libation was the drink du jour:
Jack's Casting Couch
  • 1 oz. creme de almond
  • 1 oz. creme de cacao
  • 4 oz. vanilla ice cream
Throw it in a blender with some ice. Blend until smooth, and drink until you're drunk. Beware of diabetes.



No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...