Sunday, May 16, 2021

Leadership Journey: 4.0

 
Ok, where do I go to get free stuff for As on my report card?

When it came to higher education, I was a solid B student. I’m not saying my report card was straight Bs, my output was a bell curve of some As, heavy B and modest C action, and the occasional D, primarily in the accounting, finance, economics area. 

I remember two of my professors praising my work ethic, while lamenting my cluelessness in their chosen field. Dr. B., econ prof at Jackson College, addressed my tears, saying “I see your hard work, and I see how attentive you are. If your chosen field is not economics, you will be ok.”

Accounting professor at Ferris, “You’ve turned in the extra credit, sit in front, take notes, don’t skip, I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone put so much effort with so few results. What’s your major? Do you promise not to do any accounting? Aren't you dating Garland, can't he help you? I will pass you if you continue to demonstrate an effort.”

So it pleases and surprises me to say I four-pointed my semester at Grand Valley, notching perfect scores in both my classes. It wasn’t easy, it required dedication to the subject matter and a LOT of homework. But this subject matter was in my wheelhouse, and the online option of study made it easy to do on my time when it was available. It was a godsend to work on homework while Dave was taking his nap or it was raining at the cottage. 

If you go back to my senior year of undergraduate studies and my two semesters of grad school (ignore the class I dropped in 2016), my GPA is over 3.5, which sets me up nicely for perhaps a run towards a masters degree in communications. At this point, a soft, abstract goal - I want to insist on full credit for classes previously taken - but it may be kinda cool to have my paper in a couple of years. 


No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...