Monday, May 10, 2021

RIP to an 80s Vixen

 


It was announced over the weekend that actress/model Tawny Kitaen died at the age of 59. At 51, I was startled that we were so close in age, yet she seemed so much older given her youthful success as a model and actress in the 80s while I was so achingly awkwardly mortal in comparison. 

I haven't given Tawny much thought over the years, she hasn't done much acting or modeling, and no appearances on reality programs, at least none I have seen. I thought she was a great straight man playing the tolerant fiancé to Tom Hanks' unhinged party boy in Bachelor Party. I was one of many jealous of her status as a fantasy girl in the Whitesnake videos, cartwheels on the hoods of cars in a floaty white dress. Parody was the closest I could come.  

I sit here, still an awkwardly mortal human, and I feel sorry for her loss. She had what every girl superficially wants - beauty, successful career, astonishing love affairs with rock stars and baseball players. On flip side, she experienced tabloid breakups, substance abuse problems, botched surgeries, spousal abuse. 

All this tells me is that underneath it all, she too was awkwardly mortal as well. 

For her sake, and her children's sake, I'm glad her daughters are the ones that broke the news to the public, and not TMZ or the National Enquirer. It's news that rightfully belongs to them. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...